Monday, August 29, 2011

Vintage textile fair

Mum and I abandoned the family today for a trip to Auckland to the Vintage Textile Fair.  We werent sure what to expect but we were not disappointed.  It was amazing!  We spent a good couple of hours rummaging piles of antique fabric, emboideries, scarves, clothes, sewing items and old treasures.  It was great for people watching too, lots of interesting thrifted and altered outfits.

Piles and piles of embroidered linens

I heard the woman at this stall say she had two storage units and was condensing to one.  These antique printed feedsacks were stunning but very expensive.

Some of the clothes featured exquisite detailing.

There were loads of antique accesories and jewellery.

This was the most amazing thing we saw - a green and burgandy woollen spread from the 1800's hand appliqued with flowers and birds.  The price was NZ$9500 and if I'd had a spare 10k I would have been the proud owner of that piece.
 I said to Mum I wanted to make such a beautiful heirloom and I'd better start now.

Racks of fur garments, some complete with heads.

Fabrics of all types and era's
Silk scarves by the hundreds
I bought these two pieces. The navy floral is an apron and the fabric is almost Amy Butler ish.  The other is a painterly 60's floral which I'll make into a dress for Mia this summer.

After the fair we spent the afternoon trawling the shops in Newmarket.  Its so easy to shop when you don't have to have one eye on the kids.
Madder and Rouge was closed so we had to drool on the windows instead.  I would love to own every single thing in that store.

 The same goes for Allium which thankfully was open because it is filled to the brim with bright and beautiful things for every room.

I bought this card by Ellen Giggenbach, a German artist now living in Wellington.

And this sweet mug.  LOVE!

We also loved The Poi Room and Texan Art School which showcase the work of some very clever NZ artists and crafters. 

It was a great day, thanks Mum.

Happy day xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment